Sunday, February 3, 12 p.m. (Astoria, Queens): Punk Rock Hora is the featured book for Wandering Jews of Astoria’s book club. Author Michael Croland will be participating in the discussion. Click here for more information.
Saturday, March 2, 8 p.m.: Brooklyn Jewish Art Gallery at Congregation Kol Israel (Brooklyn): Michael Croland will give a multimedia presentation about his new book, Punk Rock Hora, chronicling his 13 years covering edgy Jewish culture. This book talk will include songs from a variety of Jewish punk artists to show how they’re using punk rock as a vehicle to embrace, express, and explore their Jewish identity. There’ll be a special focus on punk covers of “Hava Nagila” and hora medleys, as well as exciting hora stories, for a punk rock party vibe! Michael will also do a Q&A and sell books afterward. This event is part of a month-long “Jews and Art” exhibit and will feature a concert by the Jewish punk band Moshiach Oi! For more information and to buy tickets, click here.
If you’re interested in scheduling a Jewish punk presentation, please contact Michael Croland at MCroland@gmail.com. Sign up for the mailing list (on this site’s home page) to learn about new events once they’re confirmed. So far there have been great events in New York, Ohio, and Maryland. Click the links below to read about some of them:
- The book release party for Oy Oy Oy Gevalt! Jews and Punk, featuring a performance by Moshiach Oi! (June 2016)
- A presentation at the New York Public Library Mid-Manhattan Library (August 2016)
- A presentation to 8th-to-10th graders at the Toledo Jewish Book Festival (November 2016)
- The artists’ beit midrash, featuring punk rock songs based on the Book of Job (March 2017)
- A presentation at my childhood synagogue on Long Island (May 2017)
- A presentation at the Jewish Museum of Maryland, featuring an acoustic solo set by Yishai Romanoff of Moshiach Oi! (March 2018)
- A presentation at Book Fair Shabbat (November 2018)
- Three readings in three NYC boroughs for Punk Rock Hora (January 2019)